The National Centre of Robotics and Automation is a consortia of 11 labs over 13 universities of Pakistan with its centre headquarter at NUST College of E&ME. The centre serves as a leading technological hub within the domain of Robotics and Automation.
- Build national capacity to carry out R&D in the emerging field of Robotics and Automation by solving at least a small number of ‘hard’ problems identified and mutually agreed by a scientific committee comprising of local and international experts
- Solve local problems and take solutions to market through technology commercialization and licensing
- Provide high-value shared services to academia, startups and industrial partners
- Human Resource Development in Robotics and Automation
NCRA CMS, MUET
The Haptics, Human Robotics and Condition Monitoring lab is a part 11 labs consortium established under umbrella of “The National Center for Robotics and Automation”, inaugurated by Dr. Ahsan Iqbal (Minister of Planning, Development and Reforms) in college of Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, National University of Science and Technology (EME-NUST) on 9th May 2018. Since then, EME-NUST has been serving as a leading partner within the domain of Robotics and Automaton.
This lab is the joint lab of MUET and NEDUET, whose aim is to execute the state-of-the-art researches and development in the field of Haptics & Human- Robotics Lab (HHR) at NED University and Condition Monitoring Systems (CMS) at Mehran University. HHR will specifically deal with the design and development of Haptic/Tele-robotic interfaces (for Disaster Management and Medical Applications) and STEM-based Education/Assistive Robots. In CMS, we aim to develop national level predictive maintenance prototype solutions that can monitor different parameters of the plant for possible maintenance before going into worst condition (i.e., shut down). Scope of the CMS is transport infrastructure i.e., Railway and Road. These works will culminate with high quality research, innovation, commercialization and consultation.
The establishment of this lab at Mehran UET Jamshoro is great achievement, which is only possible due to the tireless efforts of Principle Investigator Professor Dr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry and Co-Principle Investigator Dr. Tayab Din Memon, under the guidance and support of Vice Chancellor Professor Dr. Mohammad Aslam Uqaili throughout competitive and challenging selection process by HEC and Planning commission of Pakistan.
CONDITION MONITORING SYSTEMS LAB OBJECTIVES
Domain-1: Railway Infrastructure Condition Monitoring using IRT
- To evaluate emerging non-invasive NDT (non-destructive testing) approaches/technologies (i.e. IRT) for their ability to detect in real-time and/or quantify promptly various types of defects or damages for equipment condition monitoring.
- Railway traction motors/suspension and structure condition monitoring with a model-based approach.
Domain-2: Railway Rolling Component Condition Monitoring
- Development of Early Fault detection and Identification systems for safety and reliability of railway rolling stock; and area-performance-power comparative analysis with respect to available approaches
- Design and development of DSP High Performance Computing algorithms and its synthesize in
To facilitate the highly skilled researchers, scientists, and experts of robotics and automation by creating a consortia of advanced labs throughout the country, and to ensure that the research and development is contributing towards the Vision of NCRA.
To manage and efficiently use the highly skilled researchers, scientists and experts of robotics and automation in order to generate resources based on our innate strengths towards transforming Pakistan into one of the technologically advanced nations of the world.
- Skilled force development i.e., Training of masters/PhD graduates, and development/commercialization of the products and solutions.
- Embedded System based prototype development and direct solution delivery for local industry.
- Consultancy service to local industry, educational centers and industry-academic collaborations, Startups etc.
- Workshops/seminars/conferences on CMS (i.e., FPGA based systems design/System –on-Chip) and HHR (with focused on Haptic Displays and STEM-based Education and Assistive Robots).
- MoUs between partners and beneficiaries, sustainable technology driven socio-economic development.